Monday, November 9, 2009

My Hero

Saturday night.
I probably ate an entire bag of fun size Snickers bars. I can't help it. The after-Halloween sales are WAY too good to pass up. And with 4 bags of those goodies just staring me in the face, I lose all control. So at about 10:30 that night I was feeling pretty crappy. I looked at Charles and told him he needed to hide the remaining candy. He told me he would.

Sunday afternoon.
After 3 hours of church, we came home and it was lunchtime. The boys walked in and sat right up at the counter awaiting their food. I was STARVING! I needed something. Anything! Fast! I looked around the kitchen to see what I could scarf. What do you think I found? Those evil but heavenly little Snickers bars. I was no longer feeling as though I would upchuck the second I laid eyes on a piece of candy. Quite the opposite. I was so happy to see them sitting there on the counter, my mouth already watering. I started to reach for one. Just as I had it in my grasp, Charles swooped in and tried to snatch the entire bag from me. I death-gripped that bag and... there was a struggle. But Charles, of course, overpowered me and came out victorious with bag in hand. I was crushed. You don't take candy from a starving woman! I knew he was trying to help, so instead of getting mad, I just gave him my most pathetic and sad looking puppy dog face and began to whimper.

I looked at the kids who had witnessed this whole thing and they were just staring at us. Jaden's eyes became angry. Without saying a word, he hopped down off his bar stool, marched over to Charles and gave him 2 swift triple punches. gut-side-gut, side-gut-side. After disarming his opponent, he yanked the bag of candy out of Charles' grasp and brought it over to me. Then he calmly walked back to his seat at the counter, and sat down.


I was so touched. I couldn't believe my little 5 year old would beat up his own dad to defend me. Charles waited for me to explain to Jaden that I had wanted him to take the candy from me... but I couldn't. He had done such a sweet and noble thing for his mom, and I wanted to cherish the moment, and let him know how happy he had made me. So after letting Charles feel like a monster for a few minutes, I let him off the hook and told Jaden the situation. Jaden just responded with, "Well you should have taken it away last night! Not today." True-dat!

I smiled so much the rest of that day. I felt so loved. Charles made fun of me, telling me that I looked as if I just had a child graduate with a PhD. I might as well have, I was so proud of him. We also joked that he finally got to put his martial arts skills to use... against the person paying for the classes!

4 comments:

  1. What-a-guy! Jaden to the rescue! I love it! He is your very own Peter Patrelli...always doing the right thing no matter what the cost. Love it! Love it! Love it! I love that kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud! That is SO sweet! Little boys really love their mommas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when we heard this story at dinner, Jaden was so humble. He just sat there with a little smile, but you could tell he was sticking by his decision. He knew he was right. Oh Charles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! I was laughing out loud, and when I showed Nate we both agreed that we need to live closer so we can see you guys more. I can only imagine the fun adventures the boys would have. :)

    ReplyDelete