Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Knock On Wood!


 I've been a little nervous to write this post because I'm afraid that by admitting this, it will all go away... (I'm weird like that.)

But because I feel so grateful and blessed, I need to take the time to write this.

I had been really worried about how to single-handedly get all 4 kids and myself ready for 9am church on time, and then having to manhandle the bunch by myself during sacrament meeting.

Well, I'm pretty sure I am seeing some of those blessings promised to our family when Charles accepted his new calling.

Not only did we make it on time, but we have been early.  And the kids have been angels.  We arranged specific seating, and got new church bags filled with new activities, and set new rules... and the kids have been phenomenal!

We definitely turned on the bribery too.  We asked each kid what they would like as a reward if they could sit and follow rules the entire time.  Jaden chose money.  So we give him a dollar.  Kaleb chose a sugar cookie... we talked him into a dollar.  Bradley chose pizza.  So far it has worked out because we had Little Ceasar's over the weekend both times.  We made sure to save a piece for Bradley to eat on Sunday.

In the past I could hardly ever listen to the speakers because the kids were always going crazy.  And that was with 2 of us.  Now it is just me, and I have heard almost every word.

Brynnlee has even mellowed out a bit too.  This girl is usually such a spaz!  We got her some new toys, and we also have a family who has been sitting behind us the last 2 weeks, and they have been real entertainment for her.  It's been nice.

We had tried new things with the kids over and over in the past, that had worked for maybe like 15 minutes.  But it is way different this time.   I know it's because we are being blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Will you give me a dollar if I sit quietly?...haha, you know that would probably be a real challenge for me come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you have in their church bags? Our kids have been loud & wild in church lately, and I think some good quiet book/grab bag ideas would help a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kare, I know! They behave better than I do in SS and RS!

    Alison, I did a lot of searching online for what works best when you're on your own on the bench, and there was one lady who said she gives each kid their own bag. She only puts books/notebooks/coloring books. No games or puzzles or anything like that. She also puts a snack into each bag. Then she tells the kids that they have to stay seated. No sitting on the floor and turning to color on the bench. I think that having them each have their own bag, their own supplies and their own baggie of snacks has helped a lot with the problem of them getting in and out of their seats, arguing, fighting over food, or just getting silly. They mind their own business. I used to bring a couple sippy cups for them to share. Not anymore. They can wait. I also split the 2 major trouble makers, one on each end. They have to stay in their assigned seat. But all I have in their bags are a notebook, a pencil, box of crayons, word search book, sticker book, coloring book, and a couple activity books i found at the church bookstore. Each kid has 4 or 5. That's it. And they can only see or use them at church. So that, along with "Daddy is watching you..." and the treat they get if they were good, is pretty much it. So far do good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete