Saturday, April 20, 2013

Jaden Turns 9


This year was a little different when it came to what Jaden wanted for his birthday.  In the past it has always been toys. Legos mostly. But always some sort of toy. This year he didn't ask for a single one. All he wanted was name brand clothes.  Nike to be exact.


I have to admit I was a little shocked.  He's only 9 for goodness sakes!  I don't remember getting into that until like Jr. High! And these long black socks... I thought he was crazy for wanting to wear that.  Then I started paying attention to what the older boys in his school was wearing. Yep.  Basketball shorts, long black socks and Nike shoes. I thought I was being such a cool mom, picking out some nice outfits from Old Navy, that I thought were in style.  Nope. He just wants to wear Nike basketball shorts "that don't show his knees," and a T-shirt.


Jaden is also very into Minecraft.  He plays on Grandpa's server every Sunday.



Jaden was a little nervous about having a birthday party this year.  We had just moved to South Jordan and hadn't had much time to make new friends.  He invited a lot of kids from the old neighborhood, but he also had 3 or 4 new friends attend.


Here, they are designing and building their own catapults.  Charles and I are the Webelos leaders in cub scouts and we had just done this activity with our scouts.  Our own kids thought it looked so fun they wanted to do it too, and then Jaden wanted to do it at his party.


When they finished, they set themselves up on 2 sides and armed themselves with marshmallows, ready to battle.



Pizza for lunch...









The balloon stomping game...




Cake...


...and presents.


Happy Birthday Jaden. Keep being the kind and compassionate kid you have always been. Your brothers look up to you and think the world of you. So do we. And stop growing up, would ya?!

Jaden at 9:
~Still an obedient and helpful child
~Still super sensitive
~Has more of a sweet tooth like his mom
~Still gets up, dressed, fed and his lunch made before I even wake up in the morning.  He likes to get up early so he "has time to watch his favorite TV shows."
~Loves to read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
~Is VERY good at math and memorization
~Can be too hard on himself
~Makes friends pretty easily
~Takes care of others
~Likes basketball
~Worries if his socks are not even
~Taught himself to ride the ripstick in a weekend
~Listens to adult conversations a lot more than I think he does... watch out!

3 comments:

  1. 1. I can't believe he's 9

    2. I can't believe he is asking for non toys for gifts

    3. Jaden can ask Dave and John for shoe tips, I know Dave is obsessed and I'm pretty sure John is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should ask Dave and John for tips for Jaden's next birthday or Christmas. So I can get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I grow up, I want to be like Jaden.

    ReplyDelete