Friday, June 8, 2012

Not a Great Bike Ride

One evening we decided to go on a family bike ride over to the church.  Usually we pile the kids' bikes into the van and drive there.  This time we tried just riding there.
So I rode Alli's bike that I'm borrowing for the summer, and rode ahead with the faster boys, Jaden and Kaleb.  Charles pushed Brynnlee in the stroller and walked with Bradley who rode his training wheels bike.  We figured that Bradley would stay back with Charles since he's not quite as fast as the other boys.

Well to get to the church you have to cross a 4 lane street with a 4-way stop.  Jaden and Kaleb followed me across.  We were way ahead of everyone else.  Apparently Bradley was too slow to cross with me and the boys... but too fast for Charles to keep up with the stroller.  When he got to the street, Charles was yelling his head off to him trying to get him to stop.

Bradley stopped at the curb.  The cars on the street were stopped at the stop, and Bradley took off across.  I didn't see him until he and Charles made it all the way to the church.  When Charles told me what happened I couldn't believe it.  We decided we should probably get another bike and a bike trailer for Brad and Brynn if we ever wanted to do this again.



While at the church the kids brought their sidewalk chalk and made a course to follow along and race.  Brynnlee found this chalk and quickly put it in her mouth and choked.  She threw-up huge chunks all down the front of her clothes.  I didn't have any wipes or anything with me, so I had to just hold her up by her hands and drag her face-down all around the grass until we could wipe off the majority of the puke. She giggled like crazy.  At least one of us were happy in that moment.

Here she is walking on her knees... on he asphalt.


And then running... out of control downhill.  Which one is worse?


Luckily Charles grabbed her before she face-planted.


Jaden was having fun.


But Kaleb?


Not so much. 


No, I'm not a crazy mom who just takes pictures instead of helping her children... He seriously threw himself into full-on drama queen mode and laid frozen like that, screaming for like 30 seconds.  I had plenty of time for the shot.


No bandaids.


Can we go home yet?  Yeah... not one of our funnest bike rides.  Times like these, we can't help but wonder, "Why did we even try?"

And speaking of Bradley doing unsafe things... here's another one.

One day I told him to clean his room.  He would not.  I told him he couldn't go out to play until it was clean.

2 hours later some friends who live down and around the corner and then up the hill of the next street over from us came and asked if the boys wanted to play.  Bradley started to get on his bike to go over, but I told him he couldn't go anywhere until he cleaned his room.

So he went back inside.

I watched Jaden and Kaleb ride off with their friends then I went back into the house.  About 5 minutes later I got a phone call.

It was Jaden.

He said, "Uh... Mom?  Did you know that Bradley is over here?"

Apparently when he went back inside the house, he did NOT go up the stairs.  He just walked around through the garage and snuck out with no shoes, and no helmet. 

When Jaden brought him home, he let Bradley use his helmet to ride back.  I'm so glad Bradley didn't get lost or taken.  But what a little stinker!

No comments:

Post a Comment