Friday, December 31, 2010

Ornaments

Trying to teach the kids that Christmas should be more about giving than receiving... has been tricky. Even though the kids get showered with gifts, I wanted them to take part in the giving aspect as well. I wanted them to be anxious to see the delight on others' face as they give their gift.

In the past I have taken them to the dollar store and let them pick out gifts to buy, wrap and give on Christmas day. This did not go over so well.
#1 The kids were greedy. All they could think about while at the store, was what they wanted.
#2 I realized they wouldn't really feel like they were giving a special gift if it was just something they threw into the cart, thus defeating the whole purpose.

This year, we tried something new. For an FHE night, we decided to have the kids make their gifts. We got online, looked for ideas, and the kids picked what they wanted to make. So that night, we cranked up the Christmas music, threw some cookies in the oven and became busy little elves.


It was a project that they were each capable of doing...


although some enjoyed it a little more than others.


Kaleb had the most fun. He loves to be creative and work on crafty things. He can be wild and rambunctious for most of the day, but put a craft in front of him and he will work quietly and intently for an hour.


We were only going to do candy canes and wreaths, but Kaleb came up with snowmen, igloos, trees, and bells to add to the mix.

The kids ended up making about 34 of these ornaments to give to their friends, teachers and family.


I'd say Kaleb did about 75 % of them. Not only is he good, but he is quick! We put tags on them and wrapped them up.


I'm not sure if the kids felt as excited about giving as I had hoped, but I hope they at least remember that they gave.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. I had the same problem this year -- trying to get the kids really interested in giving and not just receiving. And go Kaleb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the ornaments that the boys made. They were fabulous and looked amazing on our tree. I took a couple pictures of them hanging on our tree that I will have to send to you. Thank you guys soooo much for the hard work you put into these beautiful gifts! We love love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved getting my ornament from you guys, I'm impressed with the different types Kaleb was able to come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry everyone, but the igloo Kaleb made me was the BEST! He was super excited to give them away shortly after they were made and was upset that he had to wait until Christmas, I think they learned the lesson.

    ReplyDelete