Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Graves

I love this new tradition we have of visiting and cleaning graves on Memorial Day weekend (thanks Mom and Barbara!)  The kids look forward to it too.  In fact this year, I had almost forgotten about it until Jaden reminded me.


We started with my Grandma and Grandpa Ashton.



Brynnlee's favorite things to find were the pinwheels.  She was fascinated with them.




She had to touch each one that she saw spinning.




Next we went to find Uncle Dennis's grave.


After that, we drove on to the next cemetery to find my Grandma and Grandpa MacKay.




In the past we would stop and go home after that, but this time we went on to find more of my mom and dad's ancestors.




You can hardly read this... This was Edward Ashton's original headstone.  We couldn't make out all of the words.







Over here we found my Dad's grandparents.  Both of which died before Dad was even born.  How sad to have never known your grandparents.



Technology is pretty amazing these days.  Dad was able to pull up on his iPad the exact points where the family members were buried, along with our family history so we could know who was who, and how we were all related.  It makes me excited to get into family history.  And since my side of the family is all pretty well recorded I'm excited to help Charles and Amber do theirs.  Amber has already done quite a bit, so I'm glad I have her to turn to.



When we finished, we all went to eat lunch downtown at the original Hires Big H.  I didn't know until later that I was supposed to order a burger and root beer (or root beer float).  I guess that is what they were famous for back in the day. I ordered a bacon and turkey sandwich.  It was delish!


5 comments:

  1. How cool! Jealous that you get to be a part of that every year, maybe one year we can make the trip up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that in the video Brynnlee dropped a chocolate chip and didn't pick it up and eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disturbing? a dropped piece of food? Those with kids know the drill, and have see it a thousand times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ain't that the truth! And have you seen my car? I gave up on that mess years ago...

    ReplyDelete