Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's Finally Time :)


The day after Labor Day. A day I have been dreaming about for months and months. This was the day that... Kaleb started Preschool. (*sigh*) The deadline for starting school in Utah is September, and Kaleb was born in October. So technically, he shouldn't start preschool until next year. But... if you know Kaleb, than you KNOW that I would be scouring the city for a place who would bend the rules. I love him to death, but a short break every once in a while would be quite welcome. Well, I was looking for a place in early January. Yes... I was searching that early. And low and behold, I found one. Little Learner's Academy. "Laaaaa!" He goes 2 days a week for 2 hours each day.

Here's Kaleb all dressed up in his "First Day of School" outfit that Charles bought for him that morning on his way home from the night shift. A little last minute... but we're trying to hold off the "need" for an entire new wardrobe at the beginning of each school year. One outfit is all they get for now!


Kaleb was so confused when he saw the new clothes. He's so used to hand-me-downs from Jaden that when he saw that they still had tags on them, he said,

"These Jadna's?"
I said, "No, they're for you!"
He said, "Oh. It's my birthday?"

Here's Kaleb walking from the car to his school...


Walking IN to school...


Not sure about going into his classroom...


We met his 2 teachers: They are the 2 on the left, Miss Starr and Miss Jazzy...


He found where to hang his bag...


At this point the room was filled with about 20 kids and their parents and siblings. Most of them were clinging to their parents. I was so proud of Kaleb as he timidly, began to play with toys. Every once in a while, when he would hear another child scream and yell that they didn't want to stay, he would look at me as if he were about to start clinging and crying, but then he would go back to playing. I was so proud of him! So here he is (with Bradley) playing with the trains.



And here he is after another kid pushed him aside and took the trains. He just looked down, found this freaky looking doll and just held it. I was so mad at that kid. I mean here was Kaleb trying to be so brave, and actually playing with toys instead of bawling his eyes out, and this kid just comes over and pushes him and takes his toys! I started looking around for a parent, but I guess since THAT kid seemed perfectly comfortable being there, his mom or dad had already left.


After a few minutes when Kaleb seemed to be okay, even though no parents had seemed to have left, I told him I was going to leave and that I would be back to pick him up when school was over. He told me he didn't want me to leave. I told him that parents aren't aloud at school. School was for kids. He told me he still didn't want me to go. So I may have told him a small little, white lie. I told him that I would stay, but that I would need to hide so that the teachers didn't kick me out. He seemed satisfied by that compromise, so I gave him a hug, told him I loved him and was proud of him for being so brave, and then I picked up Bradley and left.

I went out and watched him through the one way mirror/window.


After a few minutes the teachers started asking parents to leave. That's when the crap hit the fan. It was CRAZY. All of a sudden it wasn't just kids crying it was parents too! I mean SOBBING! I stayed the next 15 minutes or so till all the parents were out so I could see how Kaleb was handling everything and he was just sitting there quietly watching. One of the teachers started a clapping song, and Kaleb got brave enough to tap his fingers along. After that I left, did some grocery shopping, but made sure I was back a few minutes before Kaleb got out.

Kaleb was a little nervous, but did VERY well. And I think he associates "being good" with not talking. Sad. Like whenever we pick him up from nursery, one of the things we ask him is if he was good for his teachers, and he always says, "I didn't talk." And he doesn't. He is a completely different child in nursery. For me he is wild and loud, but for other teachers he is quiet and... obedient! Well, we told Kaleb that it's okay to talk, but he said he didn't want to. We asked him if he could try and talk "just a little" and he said he would. Here is his report after school:



Kaleb did awesome and we were extremely proud of him. :) Way to go Kiddo!

6 comments:

  1. Aaah! He looks so cute and sweet, you'd never know there was a devil child under that interior. I love your expression, "that's when the crap hit the fan." I was like "what is she talking about?" heehee. fun times for you! I hope you enjoy the break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear goodness that kid is cute! I love his new school outfit, good job Cha! So will Kaleb do 3 years of preschool??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he is sooooo cute!!! I love his giant school bag and his combed hair. He looks so good! I am so impressed with how brave he was and how clever you were to separate away from him. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute boy! It is sad to send your kid to school, but it is nice to have a few hours with only one kid at a time. I need to find something like that for Landon. You guys look great. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's SO AWESOME :) And I LOVE that he thought the new outfit was for his birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, if we are still living in a state where September is the deadline, then yes, he will have 3 years of Preschool. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete