Friday, July 24, 2009

Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!


BIG NEWS, BIG NEWS! After what... 5 or 6 months... Jaden and I are no longer a "bottom of the food chain-- White Belt." Woot-Woot! We were pretty nervous when we were called to test for our yellow belts. We didn't know what to expect, but we drove to Ogden (where everyone from all other Hapkido classes go to test) and did our thing. (Punches, Kicks, Rolls & Jumps) Jaden was the youngest one to test, and I, surprisingly, was NOT the oldest. There were 3 people older than me. Whew!

After we tested in front of Master Lim in Ogden, we finished the rest of our test in our own class. There, we were awarded... Dun da-da DUN!... our Yellow Belts. In case you are wondering, the order of belts goes: White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Red-Black, Black-Red, Black, and then a million more degrees of Black. Jaden has been very anxious since day 1 to "be on the Green Team!" One more belt to go, Jaden. :)

Here we are switching from White to Yellow.


After that we had to lead the class in stretches.


Hmmm... not quite as flexible as I was 10 years ago! But look at Jaden go!


Thank goodness we didn't have to do the Korean counting! Our instructor did that for us. I think it isn't until we get the Green or Blue belts before we are required to do that... yikes... I may have to "resign" before then.



Then we also led the class in a few kicks.



So there you have it... Jaden got his Yellow Belt at age 5, and I got mine at age... 28.


That makes 3 Yellow Belts in the family.....What? You think I miscounted? Well here's the one who started it all. Charles got his at age 12 or 13.

9 comments:

  1. AWWWWW!!!! LOVE IT! That is so awesome. What a fun thing to do with your son. Congratulations on achieving yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charles...just when you thought the blog couldn't get any better, the sun spreads a few more rays. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang it!..make that "t" a "d"...I hope you DO Hapkido forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaden is pretty much a pro at leading the stretches. I learned that first hand as he forced Curtis and I to endure like a half an hour of stretching while he yelled at us in Korean.

    I also love how Jaden is always on the offense...no need to take the wussy defense stance.

    Crissy you are amazing! I hope you to Hapkido forever!!!!! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get this picture of Charles?? I love it, I remember finding a whole bunch of pictures from when we were all in judo, I wonder what mom did with those...

    I can't believe how grown up Jaden looks in the pictures, I can't wait till I see you guys again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think that you are going to put Kaleb in it when he gets older?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, Hapkido IS really fun... most of the time!

    Amber- I got the picture off of mine and Charles' wedding slideshow. When are you coming home? We finally decided when we're going to Disneyland. It's the first week in Sept. (The only week Charles has off of school.) Are you coming? And if Kaleb want to join Kapkido then we'll put him in. I think he has to be 3 or 4 first. Right now he wears Jaden's white belt and counts in Korean and does his own punches and kicks! It's pretty cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the slide show, I sorta remember that...I dont know when I'm going to be on that side of the country, my guess is Christmas. I'm thinking that if you guys aren't in California for Christmas then I'll just do what I did last year and stop by on my way there or back. I dont think that i'll be able to make ti for Disneyland, although, I wonder how mom and dad would feel about me coming out in September and not for Christmas...I want to go to disneyland, I'll check out flights and see hwat I can do. I think just me typing has convinced myself that i'm going, hehe. wait, when you say the first week of september, are you talking about the week before labor day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so I just looked up prices for the september trip and I think I can do it. Do you guys have exact dates yet and do you know when you'd be going to Disneyland? I was thinking of going out on the 2nd and returning on the 8th, how does that look??

    ReplyDelete