Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Remember when...?

(I searched for the earliest family picture on my computer that I could find, and this was it. The story I'm about to share actually goes back 5 years from when this picture was taken, but it was the best I could do. So picture my sisters and I without husbands, and everyone is 5 years younger than this. Guess I need to buy a scanner and start archiving some older photos. Maybe if I ever do that, I'll replace this with a more accurate picture.)

Anyway... this is one of my best memories. It happened about 13 or 14 years ago. It's one that I most likely won't forget, but you never know. Either way, it needed to be written. Inspired so, by Jaden.


When I was in 10th grade, my family and I were traveling from Utah, back home to California in the middle of a snowstorm. I remember it was 10th grade, because I was working on my chemistry assignments in order to distract myself from the pain. I really had to go to the bathroom, and had been holding it for a good hour and a half at this point. The next turnoff wasn't for another 45 miles but we were traveling like, 10 miles an hour.


I begged my Dad to pull over off the side of the road and let me out, but he refused because he thought we might get stuck if we stopped. I was sweaty, and so ready to burst. So my mom offered me an alternative. She picked up the empty Tupperware bowl that had been holding brownies and held it out to me.


I grabbed it gratefully and filled it to the brim right there in the car. It felt like a warm soup in my hands. There were little chunks of brownie crumbs floating to the top. It was beautiful... because it was finally OUT!


My 3 sisters were so grossed out as they held their noses and gagged. Well, I put the lid on top and handed it back to my mom. She informed us that she was just gonna chuck the entire bowl out the window, but my Dad said, "What?! That's good Tupperware! Just pour it out."


Being the considerate person that my mom is, she got on the walkie-talkie that we were using to communicate with the family traveling behind us. (Yes, this was before the convenience of cell phones.) She told the Collins’ to change lanes, so they wouldn’t get splashed. After they did so, she took the lid off, unrolled her window and... well, do you remember that we were driving through a snowstorm?


A huge gust of wind blew into the car causing the bowl to fly back at my mom. The contents of the bowl landed all over her, and my sisters who sat behind her. I remember my mom was wearing a denim shirt that was completely soaked on her right half. The walls and roof of the car were dripping with urine. I was sitting behind my dad, so I didn’t get any of it! Haha! But my sisters had the sense to duck under a blanket quick enough to avoid contact with the splash.


We were seriously dying. We all screamed and laughed so hard that we all had tears running down our cheeks. We kept hearing on the walkie-talkie, “Did you do it?” But for a while, no one could stop laughing long enough to answer. Good times.

4 comments:

  1. You know it's a truly classic family story when even your sister's friend (me), who didn't even know her yet at the time of the story, knew exactly which story you were going to tell as soon as you started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was on the way home from Alli's baptism. And I'm certain no one will let you for get that this happened!!! Even just reading about it makes me laugh out loud very hard. :) :)

    But what did Jaden have to do with the story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alli's baptism? Yeah, that makes sense. I couldn't remember what the trip was for, so thanks! And Jaden reminded me of this story when he peed into a water bottle in the car on out last trip, missed, and got it all over Bradley. Again, traveling from UT to CA in the snow. :)

    ReplyDelete