Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day was a lot different for me than in the past. Usually I look forward to Mother's Day because it means a day of rest! Charles does everything that day. He helps the kids make me breakfast, he gets them ready for church while I lounge around and take my time, he takes care of all the cooking and cleaning, and I get homemade cards and presents. It's a great day. But this year was different.

Late, late, the night before Charles and I had just returned home from a week-long stay in Mexico. It was SO much fun. But by the end, we were missing the kids. Well, we had been so preoccupied by planning for this trip, that we didn't realize it would be Mother's Day the morning after our return, and so we were a little unprepared for our normal traditions. We were out of food, the kids never had a chance to go shopping or make me a card, and Charles had to work a little bit that day.

But...

It was also probably my best Mother's Day so far...

I got up super early. About an hour earlier than the kids. I couldn't WAIT to see them. We had seen Jaden a little bit, the night before when we arrived back, but Kaleb and Bradley were asleep. I wanted to wake them up, but I'm smarter than that! I know the repercussions! Kaleb was the first to wake up, he came downstairs and gave me the best hug ever. He just sat on my lap and hugged me for a good 3 minutes. I never get hugs that long! And then he said "Mommy? Can you be Darth Vader?" That's my boy. :)

After a few minutes I told Kaleb we should go jump in my bed and wake up Daddy. He was really excited about that. Then I went and got Bradley. Bradley gave me a little bit of a confused look at first, but then smiled real big and said, "Momma!" He gave me an awesome hug too. I brought him in the bed with Charles and Kaleb and we sat and talked, and laughed for a few minutes. Then Jaden came in, rubbing his eyes. He had been up LATE trying to wait up for us. He jumped in the bed with us and we all just talked, laughed, bounced and hugged.

That was my favorite part of Mother's Day. Being so happy and excited to see my children, instead of being relieved to have a break from them.

But I DID get something that day as well... my mom and dad had taken the boys to the store the day before and let them pick out flowers, a balloon and a chocolate bar. They were very proud of their selections and they even offered to help eat the candy bar. :)


Here are the boys that morning, after we gave them shirts and hats from our trip. Jaden was not so happy to wear it over his jammies. Oh well. :)


Bradley was very clingy. I loved it. He's definitely more so for Charles, but I get my share of these hugs too.


All day I just wanted to watch and play with the kids. I didn't do any unpacking or cleaning that day because my focus was glued to the kids. I watched how patient and delicate Bradley has become with his blocks...


...how Jaden struggled with his separation from my mom. :) And how he takes care of his brothers, even when he thinks no one is watching.

...and how much more vocal Kaleb is becoming. His enunciation is really quite impressive. And his skills at the computer are astonishing.

I love my boys. This Mother's Day I had a clear realization of how lucky I am to be a mom. It's hard work, but I would do anything for these little guys.

2 comments: