Monday, March 19, 2012

Service with a Smile


My neighborhood is awesome.  Not just because it is filled with kids the same age as mine... but because my boys have so many opportunities to serve others.  Just in the tiny corner of our block, we have 6 single-women surrounding our house.  (4 divorced, 1 widowed and 1 who's husband is deployed... yes, that means single to me.)  That's 6 neighbors that could use help shoveling the snow in the winter or mowing the lawn in the summer.

But to be honest, you sometimes have to JUMP at these opportunities.  That's how cool our ward and neighbors are.  Everyone is ready and willing to help each other out.  Everyone is shoveling someone else's driveway.  I even remember one morning coming out and seeing my OWN done.  And not just my own, but everyone else's on the street.  Why?!  I have a husband and Jaden who are perfectly capable.  Because that's just the way the people around here are.  And I love it.


This particular house belongs to our friend Ruth, who is recently widowed.  Charles put up her Christmas lights, and then he had Jaden take them down.


I'm really glad that these opportunities to teach the boys about service are so readily available.  I want them to grow up and be the kind of men that just go out and shovel their neighbor's driveway, with not even a  thought of expecting anything in return.


And I hope none of the neighbors offer to pay them...  Which is kind of a weird thought, because, whenever someone's else's kid does some kind of work for me, I WANT to repay them.  I feel bad if I don't.  But I really hope no one will offer to pay my boys.  Right now they genuinely love to help others.  I'd like to keep it that way... as long as possible.


I'm lucky to be married to someone who is such a great example of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment