Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to School... Back to School...


Although he doesn't really look it, Kaleb loves his new school. After a terrifying experience at his previous school, Kaleb is finally happy. Sunshine Square is Jaden's old preschool, and we have missed it. Kaleb's birthday is just after the deadline, so he couldn't start here last year. But LLA's deadline was later, so we enrolled him there instead. He dreaded every day he went. But this year he is excited, and much more happy. They have a 3 year old class and a 4 year old class. Kaleb is in the 3's even though he turns 4 soon. So yes, that means 3 years of preschool for this guy.


What I love about Sunshine Square is that the class size is only 8. He only has one teacher. Instead of staying in one big classroom all day, the kids get to rotate between about 7 or 8 small classrooms, each with a different activity.


His teacher's name is Miss Leslie, and I have been so impressed with her. We were supposed to have a 10 minute meeting just to meet her, but after I told her about Kaleb's previous experience, she stayed and talked to Kaleb for about 45 minutes. At the beginning of our meeting, there was no way Kaleb would have been comfortable enough to give her a hug. But by the end, Kaleb gave her 2. It was amazing. I told her that he "doesn't talk to teachers" and she asked him if she could be his "big friend" instead. He really likes her. At home he calls her "Miss Naughty." Which is really a term of endearment.


It's weird seeing Kaleb be almost the tallest kid in the class. But I guess he is probably the oldest too. So far, he likes to play with a boy named Broox. He says he always sits next to him at snack time. Here they are lined up, ready to leave the parents for their first day of school. Way to go, Kaleb!


Jaden started 1st grade the week after Kaleb started preschool. He has not been looking forward to it. He really values his playtime at home and was not very happy to be losing more.


One thing he has been happy about was lunchtime. Now that he goes to school all day, he got to pick out a lunchbox and so he feels pretty cool.


Unfortunately most of his good friends from last year are in the other class, so when he came home the first day, he said that he has no friends, and he played by himself.


The first day was pretty rough for him. He cried and said he hated it. But the next day, he bought a school lunch (pizza), and also found some of his old friends and recess, so I think he had a better day.


That night he actually volunteered to say a prayer, (something he rarely does anymore) and in his prayer he said, "Please help me to have a good day, please help me to have a good recess, and please help me to have a good lunch recess." It's obvious what determines a good or bad day for him.


When I picked him up I saw him high-fiving, low-fiving, and hugging about 3 or 4 different boys. I don't know if any of them were from his new class, but he seemed happier.


This is his teacher, Mrs. Reece. I'm not quite sure how I feel about her yet, but Jaden will do fine regardless. He's a good kid.


I have been nervous for Jaden to go to all-day school because he has always been my big helper at home. He makes me feel less outnumbered. He's a really good big brother and really helps takes care of the little ones. But I have been pleasantly surprised with the change in Kaleb, since Jaden has been gone. Kaleb has taken on the role of "big brother," and has started to simmer down. So far, so good.


The first thing Jaden does when he gets home is his homework. Not because he enjoys it, but because for every minute he reads, that's how many minutes he can play Star Wars or Indiana Jones on the Wii. Jaden, you will be just fine... hang in there, bud.

5 comments:

  1. This is Julianne.

    Okay so when I heard Jaden cried, *I* almost cried. I really, really hope things get better for him. :(

    On a different note, I had horrible nightmares the few nights before school started. I dreamed that I had to meet with Ethan's new teacher and the principal and his old teacher and they all told me what a horrible kid Ethan was while he sat outside listening and silently crying. It was one of those horrible dreams where the aftertaste sticks with you forever afterward. Anyway, Ethan has been loving school and wasn't nervous at all, in fact, told me that he missed school and couldn't wait for it to start. Isn't the beginning of school supposed to be the other way around? The kid is nervous and has nightmares and the parent is eager?

    Also, Kaleb reminds me of you in the picture where his eyebrows are all raised up and it looks like he's listening to a story or something. And yea that he's taken on the big brother role--here's hoping that he keeps it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Kaleb got Miss Leslie. She is a gem and I adore her! And just as a side note, Ryan thinks Miss Naughty is a term of endearment as well.

    I thought I would be excited for all-day school, but after sending Caleb off to Kindergarten I've lost my enthusiasm. 7 hours is a long time! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaleb,
    I'm really glad that you like your new school, and your "big friend," even if you do call her "Mrs Naughty"...I'm glad that you are being a good big brother and helping your mom out when Jaden and you dad aren't home, I'm sure mommy really appreciates that! You're awesome Kaleb!

    Jaden,
    I'm sorry first grade has been a little rough for you. When I went to high school, a lot of my friends from elementary school went to a different high school, so I felt like I didn't have any friends either. But I was able to make new friends, and now they are still some of my best friends. You'll do great, you're such a nice person that you'll be making friends in no time!!

    Love you guys,
    Auntie Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, Thanks. I have made 3 new friends. Jayden B., Reece, and Hayden. Oh and also McCoy and C.J. and Davis from last year are in my class. Now I have 6 friends!
    Love, Jaden

    Amber, Yep. Thanks!
    Love, Kaleb

    Jules, What a sad nightmare! I'm glad things are going well in real life !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear...I'm having a rough time...I'm just balling here...

    ReplyDelete